Tuesday 11 January 2011

What a Twitt...

I like to think of myself as someone who is for free speech, however I get the impression I am less so than I thought.  I have one caveat to my belief and that is it shouldn't inflame hatred of anyone else.  That's quite a difficult thing to judge as it turns out.  

Take the recent post from Ryan Babel for instance.  Now most advocates of free speech are coming down on the side of the player however I find myself taking the opposite view point.  There are a few reasons mainly the fact that he is a professional footballer, the FA are tasked with the refereeing of these professional games and he has agreed to play by these rules.  As a result I see his comment and picture similar to that of an employee posting negative things in relation to a manager of their company, in such circumstances I can't see the company being too happy with the employee and I'm sure disciplinary action would take place.  If the FA just lets this go then they will open the door for any player to be derogatory to referrers and other officials which I don't see as a good thing.  If he had said that in an interview/made the implication then I'm sure he would have been charged for bringing the game into disrepute, I don't see how this is different.

I guess my actual opinion is that Ryan has every right to tweet what he did, however the FA also have every right to sanction him for breaching the rules of his profession which they govern.

I guess what most people will agree with is that he was a bit of a twitt for posting what he did and I'm sure he regrets it now and wishes he could take it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment