Tuesday 13 September 2011

Cocaine, a Dominatrix and hypocrisy...


The one thing that really gets my goat is the hypocrisy from politicians with regards drug policy.  I have written before that you cannot knowingly break the law, think that it foolish but then still think that it is criminal if someone else commits the same "offence" as you - that is just ridiculously hypocritical.


I am bringing it up again because of the recent rehashed story regarding George Osbourne allegedly taking cocaine with a dominatrix.  If the story is true then I feel that the dominatrix element is irrelevant - he is entitled to a private life.  Visiting a dominatrix I don't believe is illegal in this country (he is not paying for sex - but correct me if I'm wrong), therefore I don't think this should be anybodies business.  I don't care if he does it still now - he has a stressful job, maybe this is what he needed to unwind.  However, as soon as he takes drugs then he is breaking a law that he helps to create.  


Mark Thompson rightly points out that being charged with possession of cocaine is enough for you to be sentenced to 7 years in prison.  If he had been caught and sentenced I very much doubt he'd currently be Chancellor of the Exchequer, therefore if the allegations are true and it were up to me he'd not only have to resign but also face a by election.  Personally I don't understand how an act that is proven in the public eye cannot lead to a subsequent prosecution (my feelings that this should not be a criminal offence are irrelevant as it IS a criminal offence).  Otherwise it just adds to the whole one rule for those who make the laws (/the rich and powerful) and another for the rest of us.  If you are lucky enough to get away with it you can do whatever you want, if not you have a criminal conviction hanging over your head hampering any chance of future success.  Surely a more level playing field is to say what you do in your own time with other consenting adults that has no effect on another person is up to you and not have it the case that it is fine as long as nobody finds out at the time.


Of course Giddeon may have never taken drugs in his life - innocent until proven guilty, but what I've said still stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment